Top 10 Luxury Hotels 2016: Virtuoso Selection
While the top hotel in the world is apparently in Puglia, Italy, winners for design and sustainable luxury were also revealed.
Luxury travel experts have christened a sumptuous villa set amongst the olive groves and lemon trees of Puglia, Italy their hotel of the year.
Winners of Virtuoso’s 10th annual Best of the Best awards, representing the standardbearers in luxury accommodations, were revealed at a conference in Las Vegas this week.
Taking the top title of “Hotel of the Year” is Italy’s Borgo Egnazia, a collection of white villas designed to evoke a traditional Apulian village, complete with piazza and alleyways.
The sprawling resort also features a championship 18-hole golf course, beach clubs and a renowned spa. Rooms are decorated in rich hues of cream, white and beige for a calming, restful effect.
It’s not the first time the Borgo Egnazia has been recognized within the industry. The hotel has also been awarded by Travel + Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler, Tatler and Leading Hotels of the World.
For the awards, Virtuoso surveyed their network of 390 luxury travel agencies and their 11,400 travel advisors around the world. Membership is invitation-only. Properties chosen belong to the group’s own network of 1,200 hotels, resorts, villas and private islands, located in 100 countries.
“Borgo Egnazia and the area of Puglia is one of the exciting new destinations in Italy that one could ever encounter,” said Annette Sordini of Protravel International, a Virtuoso agency.
“The hotel has an amazing ambiance, warm and friendly people, incredible food and a spiritual spa.”
Here are the other winners:
- Best achievement in design: Faena Hotel Miami Beach, Florida
- Best culinary experience: The Farmhouse Restaurant, Farmhouse Inn, California
- Best bar: The New York Edition, New York
- Best Family Program: Rosewood San Miguel de Allende, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Best Spa: Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Lake Como, Italy
- Most Innovative Guest Experience: Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil
- Sustainable Tourism Leadership: andBeyond Phinda Private Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- One to Watch: Hotel Eden Rome, Dorchester Collection, Rome, Italy
- Hotelier of the Year: José Silva – Four Seasons Hotel George V, Paris, Paris, France