Monaco Yacht Show to be Not-for-Profit in 2020
Informa and the Principality of Monaco announce not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show, ‘for the yachting community to rebuild positive momentum’.
The Principality of Monaco and show organiser Informa are working together to deliver an intimate, not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show in Port Hercule in September 2020.
Informa said it intends to retain the September 23-26 dates for this year’s Monaco Yacht Show and is working with suppliers and local authorities over the coming weeks to confirm full details of the event.
Charlie McCurdy, Chief Executive, Informa Markets, organiser of the Monaco Yacht Show, said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has had a devastating impact on all industries, not least the international yachting community. As we move to the other side of the pandemic, all parts of the industry need to work collaboratively to ensure a speedy return and recovery.
“We are playing our part by hosting a not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show in 2020, providing an opportunity for the community to come together, share ideas, meet with customers and start to rebuild positive momentum.”
SYBAss (Superyacht Builders Association), whose 21 members account for 60 per cent of yachts over 40m, and LYBRA (Large Yacht Brokers Association), comprising eight of the world’s leading superyacht brokerage houses, wrote a letter earlier this month to Informa to say that their members will not participate in the 2020 edition.
Like most industries, the Covid-19 pandemic has had a marked impact on the international yachting community, with many businesses temporarily closed and staff furloughed, and the annual cycle of activity disrupted.
Informa stated: ‘As countries and locations around the world gradually relax lockdown restrictions and ease control measures, it is imperative that the superyacht community is supported in every way possible to help the industry return and recover safely and quickly.
‘With control measures steadily being relaxed in Monaco, around Europe and internationally, on current course and speed this should allow for a carefully staged event to still take place this year.’
Informa also emphasised that the proposed event will employ ‘the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness’ for ‘key players within the yachting industry to connect with their customers and share ideas in a safe environment’.
The show will be organised in accordance with Informa’s AllSecure health and safety standard, developed to provide high levels of hygiene and safety at its events, and provide participants with confidence that they’re participating in a safe, controlled environment.
Although the intimate nature of the 2020 event will prioritise the safety of participants, Informa and the Monaco Principality have said they are committed to maintaining the quality of the event and show experience.
Jean Castellini, Minister of Finance and Economy for Monaco, said: “In the aftermath of Covid-19, it is the responsibility of the Monaco Government to do everything we can to help businesses and industries recover quickly.
“In this spirit, we are working with Informa to finalise details of the 2020 Monaco Yacht Show, which will prioritise the health and safety of all participants, whilst providing direct support to the international yachting community, ensuring it can connect with customers and accelerate the recovery of what is an increasingly important industry for the region.”