What Is Crypto Options Trading?
Like the stock market, there is an option for investing in cryptocurrencies and making money from their volatility.
Cryptocurrencies have taken the world by storm in the last couple of years and continue to do so. As a result, various financial products have been created to cater to this expanding market. Like the stock market, there is an option for investing in cryptocurrencies and making money from their volatility. This article looks closely at crypto options trading and how it works. Readers need no prior knowledge of investing or trading to understand this article. However, a basic understanding of what cryptocurrencies are would be helpful.
What is Crypto Options Trading?
Crypto options trading is a form of trading in which you make an investment based on the future price of a cryptocurrency. This differs from buying the actual cryptocurrency, a “crypto asset”. Crypto options trading is a method of speculation. This means you profit even if the underlying asset does not move in your expected direction. There are two leading crypto options trading: Call options and Put options. Let’s take a closer look at each of these:
Call options: If you buy a call option, you earn a profit if the price of the underlying asset increases. You make money if the underlying asset’s price rises above your purchase price. You can profit even if the underlying asset’s price increases.
Put options: If you buy a put option, you earn a profit if the cost of the underlying asset drops. You make money even if the underlying asset’s price falls below your purchase price. You can profit even if the asset’s price drops or rises.
How Does Crypto Options Trading Work?
When you trade crypto options, you are speculating about the future price of a cryptocurrency. You buy a “call option” or “put option” for a certain amount. If the cryptocurrency price moves in your favour, you can sell the option for a profit. If the price moves against you, you have to pay the penalty. You can also consider hedging with options.
- You choose a cryptocurrency and the amount of time until the option expires. For example, you might buy a “call option” for bitcoin with an expiration date of one month.
- You determine what price you are willing to pay for the option. For example, you might be willing to pay US$500 for a bitcoin call option.
- If bitcoin prices increase to US$7,500 in one month, you can sell your call option for a profit.
- If the price of bitcoin does not increase, you lose the option and the money you paid. It also would be best considering hedging with options.
Differences Between Crypto Options And Bitcoin Futures
- Crypto options trading is very similar to futures trading on exchanges like the Chicago Board of Exchange (CBOE) and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME). However, there are some essential differences.
- Futures trading is done with a standardised contract that everyone in the market is aware of. You can choose when to buy or sell through an exchange. Crypto options trading is a much more informal process.
- Anyone can create an option contract, and you can make money whether the asset price goes up or down. With futures trading, you make money only if the price goes up.
- Futures are only traded on significant exchanges like the CBOE and the CME. Crypto options trading is done through many smaller exchanges and online platforms.
Pros of Crypto Options Trading
- Crypto options trading is a flexible way of making money from cryptocurrencies. You can choose the amount of risk you are willing to take and how long you want to invest.
- You can profit even if the underlying asset’s price does not move in the direction you expected. For example, if you buy a “put option” for bitcoin, but the price does not fall, you can still make a profit.
- The risk of losing your initial investment is limited to the option’s price. You don’t lose anything if the bitcoin price does not drop below your purchase price.
- Crypto options trading is a simple investment method that can be done online. You don’t need any special training or license to do it.
- Crypto options trading is an easy way to earn money from cryptocurrencies even if you don’t have much money to invest.
- You can invest a small amount of money regularly instead of putting a lump sum into one big trade. This can help spread out your risk.
Cons of Crypto Options Trading
- Crypto options trading is a risky investment with a high potential for loss. If you buy a call option, you can lose money even if the underlying asset price rises. Likewise, if you buy a put option, you can lose money even if the underlying asset’s price does not drop.
- The price of an option can change quickly, meaning that you may pay more than you planned. This can be especially true if you buy options regularly.
- The price of an option can change if other investors buy or sell it. This can make it difficult to predict how much profit you will make.
- Crypto options trading is a form of gambling, not a sound investment strategy. You can profit only if the price of the underlying asset moves in your favour. You have no control over this.
Crypto options trading is a risky form with a high potential for loss. However, it is an easy way to make money from cryptocurrencies. You can buy call or put options for a variety of different cryptocurrencies. You can do this online with a small amount of money and make a profit even if the underlying asset’s price does not move.
For more business reads, click here.