Instagram, the photo-sharing app, has released a list of the most photographed places in the world via the app in 2012, with Suvarnabhumi Airport topping the chart.
According to IG, over 100,000 photos were taken via Instagram at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, Thailand, over the last year, making it a surprise winner.
Interestingly another Bangkok landmark, the Siam Paragon shopping mall, took second place in Instagram’s most photographed places in 2012.
Overall, locations in the US were popular among Instagram users, with American landmarks occupying seven of the top ten locations, including five in Southern California.
Strangely enough, landmarks that have been a traditional favorite for photographers such as the Statue of Liberty in New York, the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin or London’s Big Ben did not appear on the list, though Paris’s Eiffel Tower did make an appearance in eighth place — behind Dodger Stadium and LAX.
The top ten most photographed places in the world via Instagram in 2012 were:
01. Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) Bangkok, Thailand
02. Siam Paragon (shopping mall) Bangkok, Thailand
03. Disneyland Park Anaheim, California, USA
04. Times Square New York City, New York, USA
05. AT&T Park San Francisco, California, USA
06. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), California, USA
07. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California, USA
08. Eiffel Tower, Paris, France
09. Staples Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
10. Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, California, USA