Blue Lagoon, Iceland: Millennials’ Top Travel Pick
A staggering 5,000 millennials selected Iceland’s Blue Lagoon as the most popular bucket-list travel experience.
A staggering 5,000 millennials selected Iceland’s Blue Lagoon as the most popular bucket-list travel experience. Arguably, Iceland anything makes for a good bucket-list experience but given the popularity boom this volcanic rock of 300,000+ has been experiencing in recent years, you might want to choose your specific destination with care.
‘The No Regrets Travel List’ was compiled by youth travel company Contiki, with people aged 18-35 around the world naming their dream holiday experiences in a recent poll.
From the 20 destinations that made it onto the list, Blue Lagoon in Iceland distinguished itself in first place. The milky blue pool has self-cleansing water that renews itself every 40 hours, reportedly boosting the health of those who bathe there.
As mentioned, Iceland itself is a rising star in the world’s tourism industry, mostly thanks to innovative tourism campaigns. It has become a favorite of nature lovers and adrenaline junkies alike, with estimates of 2 million tourists in 2017, a five-fold increase from 2010. The country is also prominently featured in TV hit Game of Thrones, which depicts Iceland as a mythical land of ice and fire.
That said, this is a list and Iceland just tops it. As you can see, the Pyramids of Giza also put in an appearance.
Here are the top 20 travel experiences among Millennials for 2017:
1. Bathe in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland
2. See the Great Pyramids of Giza (Egypt)
3. Walk the Great Wall of China
4. Chill out on the beach at Byron Bay (Australia)
5. Learn how to make pizza in Italy
6. Road trip along Route 66 (USA)
7. Gondola ride in Venice (Italy)
8. Kiss at the Eiffel Tower (Paris, France)
9. Watch sea turtles lay their eggs in Costa Rica
10. Picnic in the French countryside
11 . Party in Las Vegas (USA)
12. Visit Yosemite National Park (USA)
13. Watch the sunrise over Uluru (Australia)
14. Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef (Australia)
15. See the Mona Lisa (Paris, France)
16. Try all the gelato in Rome (Italy)
17. See the Grand Canyon by helicopter (USA)
18. Cuddle a koala in Queensland (Australia)
19. Zipline through the rainforest in Costa Rica
20. Ride a bike through Amsterdam (Netherlands)