And the world’s best hotel is …
Singita Grumeti Reserves in Tanzania has been named the best hotel in the world by influential magazine Travel + Leisure in its Annual World’s Best Awards 2011. The destination, which is comprised of Sasakwa Lodge, Sabora Tented Camp and Faru Faru Lodge, was named at the top of the list of the world’s best hotels, […]
Singita Grumeti Reserves in Tanzania has been named the best hotel in the world by influential magazine Travel + Leisure in its Annual World’s Best Awards 2011.
The destination, which is comprised of Sasakwa Lodge, Sabora Tented Camp and Faru Faru Lodge, was named at the top of the list of the world’s best hotels, one of many category winners announced by the magazine July 7.
Impressively, Singita Grumeti Reserves was one of six African properties to place within the world’s top ten hotels this year, suggesting that the continent is fast becoming a significant player on the global tourism scene.
Travel + Leisure‘s editor, Nancy Novogrod, said it was a return to the top for authentic destinations.
“It’s clear that remote and exotic destinations—places that convey a sense of authenticity and adventure—are ruling the day once again in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards,” she said.
“The top ten hotels overall are African camps and lodges; resorts in India; a property in Chiang Mai; and a luxury lodge in Montana.”
Among the continent’s city hotels, Cape Grace Hotel in Cape Town, South Africa was named the best, with Cape Town also taking the distinction of being named the continent’s best city.
The list, which was compiled on the basis of reader feedback across the publication’s magazine, iPad and website editions, also named its top hotel and resort selections by continent.
The Peninsula, Chicago took the best large city hotel in the US and Canada, while Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires in Argentina won in South America, Four Seasons Hotel México in Mexico City won in Mexico.
The Langham in Melbourne won in Oceania, the Stafford London won in Eruope and the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok won in Asia.
The full results will be published in August’s issue of the magazine and will also be available as the World’s Best Awards 2011 iPad app from July 11.
The world’s best hotels
1. Singita Grumeti Reserves (Sasakwa Lodge, Sabora Tented Camp, Faru Faru Lodge), Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
2. Singita Sabi Sand at Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve (Ebony Lodge, Boulders Lodge, Castleton Camp), Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve, South Africa
3. Royal Malewane, Kruger, South Africa
4. Ol Donyo Wuas Lodge Mbirikani Group Ranch, Kenya
5. Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
6. Triple Creek Ranch, Darby, MT, USA
7. Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, Chiang Mai, Thailand
8. Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur, India
9. Kirawira Camp Western Serengeti, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
10. Serengeti Migration Camp, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania