Le Dîner en Blanc Singapore 2017: The elegant picnic returns for its 5th year
Dining under the stars never looked so good and guests at the annual event can expect an evening of gastronomy and fun
“If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I bet they would live a lot differently.” – Bill Watterson
There is no other event quite like Le Dîner en Blanc on our sunny island. Currently, in its fifth year, the world’s most elegant picnic will be held on June 3 at a secret location that will only be revealed at the last moment. French for ‘Dinner in White’, the venue is shrouded in secrecy and makes for an interesting conversation for those who love planning their evening down to the last detail.
The concept of the event is simple enough: Grab a picnic basket and the person you would like to share a gourmet meal with, get dressed in your finest white ensemble and make your way to a public space that is converted into a private venue for the night. First started in Paris nearly 30 years ago by François Pasquier and friends, it is now regarded as an international epicurean phenomenon that is celebrated in over 70 cities around the world. What had originally begun as a “friends and word-of-mouth only” event now welcomes over 10,00 people in Paris annually.
While it may seem like a lot of effort to some — lugging around a foldable table and chairs is no easy feat — the end result of getting to enjoy an elegant meal under the stars is something that is worth the effort. This year, the annual event in Singapore boasts a new hosting team made up of Alexis Lhoyer, Guillaume Chabrières and Jasmine Tuan. With their combined experience in events, creative and entertainment, the trio are all set to welcome guests to the truly unique event.
The registration for the event has officially closed but for those lucky enough to have registered at Le Dîner en Blanc, here are a few things to remember:
- Rain or shine, your attendance — once confirmed by the organisers— is mandatory so you may wish to be prepared for unexpected weather conditions that can affect an outdoor dining experience.
- There is a strict dress code that must be adhered to. Come dressed head-to-toe in white only and while originality is welcomed, guests are requested to ensure that it is elegant and tasteful.
- Prepare and all white table setting that comprises of a table, two white chairs and a white tablecloth — it is called ‘Dinner in White’ after all.
- Guests are required to meet at an assigned departure location before they are escorted to the undisclosed location by a Le Dîner en Blanc volunteer.
- The secret location must be left as clean as it was when guests arrived. At the end of the event, leftovers and litter should be cleared by guests.
- Due to the alcohol regulations in Singapore, guests are not allowed to bring their own alcoholic beverages. However, those who wish to enjoy a glass of champagne or wine will be able to reserve some through the e-store upon their registration.