If you’re planning on whisking a loved one away this Valentine’s Day (February 14), Italy is the place to go according a new poll.
The survey, conducted by Skyscanner, revealed that a full third of the 1000 respondents questioned believed Italy was the world’s most romantic destination.
France, the more traditional getaway for the world’s romantics, took second place with 19 percent of the votes and the Caribbean took third place with nine percent.
When asked about the most romantic place to propose, a gondola in Venice, Italy was the most popular response, followed by the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Spanish Steps in Rome.
For those looking for romantic hotels, however, Mexico could be the best pick — in the Travelers’ Choice 2011 selection awarded last month by hotel review site TripAdvisor, Mexico was home to three of the world’s five most romantic properties.
Most Romantic Destinations
(selected by Skyscanner)
1. Italy (33%)
2. France (19%)
3. Caribbean (9%)
4. Spain (4%)
5. Greece (4%)
6. Thailand (3%)
7. UK (3%)
8. South Africa (2%)
9. Austria (2%)
10. Croatia (2%)
Most Romantic Hotels
(selected by TripAdvisor)
1. Capella Ixtapa, Ixtapa, Mexico
2. Tiara Yaktsa Cannes, Theoule sur Mer, France
3. Banyan Tree Mayakoba, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4. Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5. Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
6. Riad Noir d’Ivoire, Marrakech, Morocco
7. Phulay Bay, A Ritz Carlton Reserve, Krabi Town, Thailand
8. Namale Resort, Savusavu, Fiji
9. Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, Flic en Flac, Mauritius
10. Hotel Salvia, Soller, Spain