The best restaurants in the UK are apparently in Cumbria, Cornwall and Nottinghamshire, which is wonderful news for pastoralists and well-heeled explorers alike. For the fourth year in a row, L’Enclume, a farm-to-table restaurant set in the bucolic English countryside, has been named the best dining destination in the UK by a 65-year-old food guide.
Inspectors at The Good Food Guide gave chef Simon Rogan’s Cartmel restaurant a perfect 10 out of 10 score, a rating reserved for dishes that show “faultless technique at every service” and “the highest accolade the Guide can give.”
Using fruits, vegetables, herbs and edible flowers plucked from the restaurant’s 12-acre farm in North West England, chefs Rogan and Tom Barnes churn out dishes like broth of artichoke with pork fat and fennel and grilled lobster with parsnip, nasturtium (edible flowers) and apple.
Since opening in 2002, Rogan’s cuisine has earned the restaurant two Michelin stars and a string of accolades.
Rounding out the top five spots on the list is Restaurant Nathan Outlaw in Cornwall and Restaurant Sat Bains in Nottinghamshire.
The top-ranked London restaurant is Pollen Street Social. Four of the top 10 restaurants are located in British capital.
Rogan’s rising stardom in the British culinary scene helped him score a coveted place at luxury London hotel Claridge’s. In 2013, the hotel announced that Rogan would replace outgoing celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay.
The menu at Claridge’s Fera also espouses the same culinary ethos of using local and seasonal ingredients for dishes like roasted cauliflower with roasted chicken skin, sea lettuce and anise hyssop, and caramelized pork belly with carrots and tarragon.
Fera is ranked 15th on the Good Food Guide list, and holds one Michelin star.
Here’s The Good Food Guide’s top 20 restaurants for 2017 with their scores:
- 1. L’Enclume, Cumbria (10)
- 2. Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Cornwall (10)
- 3. Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottinghamshire (9)
- 4. Pollen Street Social, London (9)
- 5. Hibiscus, London (9)
- 6. The Fat Duck, Berkshire (9)
- 7. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London (9)
- 8. Hedone, London (8)
- 9. Restaurant Andrew Fairlie, Tayside (8)
- 10. Fraiche, Merseyside (8)
- 11. The Ledbury, London (8)
- 12. Midsummer House, Cambridgeshire (8)
- 13. Le Champignon Sauvage, Gloucestershire (8)
- 14. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, London (8)
- 15. Fera at Claridges, London (8)
- 16. Le Gavroche, London (8)
- 17. Marcus, London (8)
- 18. The French, Manchester (8)
- 19. André Garrett at Cliveden, Berkshire (8)
- 20. The Peat Inn, Fife (8)