New York’s luxury Essex House hotel is to launch amenities for dogs, its owner Jumeirah confirmed July 28.
It plans to launch a five-star “canine turndown service” for its four-legged guests in partnership with Amy Kizer, who founded dog accessory line Wagwear.
Among the products will be a Wagwear dog bed or Tee Pee Hound Lounge, a dog-sized tent with a fleece-lined bed to keep pampered pooches comfortable during their stay.
Wagwear food and water bowls with a matching placemat will also be offered, along with a gift bag and homemade dog treats created by the luxury hotel’s pastry chef.
“Doggie hospitality attendants” will also be on call to look after dogs and lay out blankets, while concierges have been briefed on dog walks, dog walkers for hire and veterinarians.
While the idea undoubtedly sounds barking mad to some, pampering pets is big business in the luxury hotel world — a TripAdvisor US survey released this week found that 61 percent of pet owners traveled with their furry friends last year.
Paris’ Hotel Le Meurice offers complimentary pet baskets, custom design bowls and grooms to walk dogs in the Tuileries garden, while Sydney’s five-star Sebel Pier One offers a doggy room service menu that includes poached salmon with green beans and minced chicken.
TripAdvisorâ€™s Top 10 Pet-Friendly US Hotels
1. Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, Tennessee
2. Hotel Monaco Portland, Portland, Oregon
3. Affinia Dumont, New York City, New York
4. Argonaut Hotel, San Francisco, California
5. Nine Zero Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts
6. The Broadmoor, Colorado Springs, Colorado
7. Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch, Scottsdale, Arizona
8. Hotel Solamar, San Diego, California
9. Sheraton Seattle Hotel, Seattle, Washington
10. Loews Coronado Bay Resort, Coronado, California